Sunday, February 27, 2011

Post #5 - Cartography

For post 5, I selected a cartogram that would be unique and easily discussed in terms of globalization. This particular cartogram represents comparisons of underweight children in the world.
There are many aspects of this map that are notable. The first thing that is usually noticed is which nations/continents are displayed as significantly larger than normal. I expected African nations to be over-sized, so that there wasn't much surprise there. However, I did not expect India to be larger than the African countries. As I considered how population affects statistics, I then made the connection with India's enormous population and its size on this cartogram. I think it's also interesting to look at the nations that are drawn way smaller than normal. The United States' size didn't surprise me obviously. But I didn't expect for Mexico and South America to be similarly sized. I think that this cartogram can be connected to globalization - or rather - the absence of such.
When I think of 'globalization', no matter what the professional definition is, I always think about 'sharing.' I think about how the world is interconnected due to the sharing of technology, money, ideas... the list could go on. But the thing about hunger that sometimes confuses me is why globalization can't solve it. To me, it just seems like the wealthy nations are reaping the benefits of this 'sharing' idea, and the countries yet to be developed are left out of the loop. Is there a way to incorporate this globalization idea to even out this map a little? Maybe.
But sharing has never been an easy thing to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment